Wednesday, August 19, 2009

My Session Tips!

I have been asked a lot about what I think does and doesn't work on photo-shoots. I thought about it and compiled my own helpful Q & A. I hope you find this useful as you prepare for your photo session!

*Please note that this is my personal opinion and is in no way intended to offend or put anyone off. Also, if you have attempted one of the faux pas in the past, please know you are in good company.



Q. What should I/we wear? This is the number one question I receive regardless of whether I'm the one doing the shoot (which, by the way, is still totally cool by me)!

A. Wear fun and vibrant colors (those that look best on you). As a general rule of thumb I don't recommend wearing white.

Q. But I really want us all to match? Okay, that's not really a question, but I get it a lot.

A. DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT all wear the same color. Instead, color coordinate. For instance, in our family photos this spring, I picked out different but coordinating shirts for my boys. They wore brown with hints of blue and orange. Richard wore blue and I wore orange. These were, without question, my favorite family photos we've ever done. Feel free to look around and come with ideas from the internet or your friends' blogs :).

Q.Can we schedule my appointment for after I get my hair done?

A. Yes!!! Try to coordinate your photo session with your hair appointment. Shoot for the same day if at all possible. Everyone feels pretty after they've just had their hair done. Pictures turn out best when you feel good about yourself. Make sure your children feel handsome/pretty as well.

Q. What kind of props should we bring/use?

A. My very favorite props are those you wear. Wear your cutest blinged out jewelry! Rings, earrings, necklaces, etc!!! If you have something that is extra special, an heirloom perhaps, what better time to wear it? Hats, scarves, and shoes are a simple way to spice up your pictures! The funkier, the better I say! If you have a special interest or hobby, for example, you play guitar or ride Harleys, bring 'em!

Q.Where should we shoot?

A. I think places that hold a special meaning to you are the best (your home, where you first met, etc.)! Places that are unique, or have great architecture, are also great. Hip and funky pictures are really in right now as well. Urban or junk yard photo shoot, anyone? Remember, shade is a requirement. If it's a public place, you're not likely to get kicked out, but private property is a big no-no, unless you get permission.

Q. Any other special advice you can give me?

A. I think I covered most everything. But, if you have anything you'd like to add, please feel free to do so in the comments!

No comments: