Sunday, June 29, 2014

Making Your Own Desserts

My healthy living journey is always an ongoing process. I can always do a little better, and in more recent efforts I've started making my own desserts. The reasons being;
  1. I can keep track of what's in them, including calories.
  2. They're yummy and pretty.
  3. It's fun, warms the house, and my heart!
I just thought I'd take a quick sec to share a few favorites!

Berries with whip cream (66 calories a serving)! This dessert is a family favorite! We've eaten a lot of it recently because Kroger has had berries insanely on sale!
1 pint of strawberries
1 pint of blueberries
2 tsp sugar
1/4 cup cool whip
 
Wash and de-steam berries

sprinkle with sugar
refrigerate 1 hour
dish berries and dollop with cool whip
 
Semi-homemade peach cobbler (200 calories a serving)!So, it's pretty much cheating if you use a store bought mix, but I promise you this is one cheat you won't regret! My family loves Calhoun Bend Mill mixes, for reasons other than the obvious (wink)! It. Is. SO. Good. We've tried a few different ones, and they were all divine. Can't wait to try them all!
Peach Cobbler mix
5 fresh peaches (pealed and cut into slices)
Cool whip for topping
 
Prepare according to package directions. The package did call for canned peaches, but we used fresh and it was divine! We served it warm and the cool whip melted just a little, mmmm, so good!
 
Last, but not least, home made cookies! I used to make cookies once a year, but now I make them about once a week. In the winter the oven warms the house, and, I like having them on hand for when the kids want a lil snack. I figure it's got to be better than the packaged processed stuff, no?
 
Oatmeal Craisin Cookies (130 calories each)! I found the original recipe on the back of a Coach's Oats package, but I use any oats I have on hand (you can't always find Coach's). I've also adjusted it a little to my liking (a bit more cinnamon and the craisins)!
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 butter
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 3/4 all purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
2 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 cups oats
1 cup craisins
 
Preheat oven to 375* in a mixing bowl, cream together the sugars and butter. Mix in the eggs one at a time. Mix in vanilla. Add combined baking powder, baking soda, flour, salt, and cinnamon. Mix well. Stir in oats and craisins. Drop by rounded teaspoons (I use a little ice cream scoop for uniformity) onto greased cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes, I pull them out just before done. Then place them to cool on a rack. They will continue to cook a bit as they cool.
 


No comments: