Thursday, August 20, 2015

Recipe: Black Beans & Roasted Corn Succotash

We kind of have this thing for trying out new cheese burger recipes. I know what you're thinking...different cheese burger recipes?! But, we've been doing the no bun (low carb) thing for a while and so we try to find new ways to dress it up and make it yummy. It started with grilling onions and bell peppers and then lead to green chilies with monetary jack cheese. Then that somehow morphed into this weekends variation with pepper jack cheese, and black bean succotash!

I'm not even exaggerating when I say it is one of the best things I ever ate. The flavor of the succotash was so tasty, and it made so much, that I declared I was going to have it on my salad with avocado and tomato with the next days lunch. And, I did! It was even better than I imagined. So good there's not even a need for dressing! Say what?!?!


So, after a few requests, and with hubby's permission (it is his creation after all) I thought I'd share it on the blog! 

Recipe:

2 corn on the cob roasted
1 red chile (piquillo or similar) roasted with skin removed
1/2 red onion diced
1/2 lime juiced
1/2 cup cilantro chopped
1 can seasoned black beans (drained)
1/2 tbsp. vegetable oil
salt to taste

Broil corn and chile top rack on a tin foil lined baking sheet (for easy clean up) aprox 15 minutes turning 2-3 times each until both are roasted and light-medium brown in color on all sides. While corn and chile roast dice red onion, cilantro, and drain beans. When corn and chile are done, and cool enough to handle, peel top layer of skin from chile (it's too tough to eat) and dice. Then cut corn from cob, add all ingredients to bowl and combine. Let chill 4-6 hours or even overnight. The longer the flavors marry together the better!

For Salad:

1 cup baby spring mix
1 avocado
1 vine ripe tomato
Succotash recipe above

Dice avocado and tomato into bite sized pieces lay over bed of baby spring mix, then cover with succotash  (recipe above).

No comments: