Monday, January 25, 2016

Tips for Moving Cross Country

Hindsight is always 20/20. As we get ready to make our second cross country move (kind of). I thought I'd share some of the do's, do not's, and the unexpected of a big move. At least from our experience.
One of the biggest mistakes we made the first time around was moving ourselves. You guys, so many things broke. So. Many. things. A lot of my favorite pieces of furniture were now unusable. The antique sewing machine my grandma gave me, done. My favorite entry table that was so perfect for storage. done. Legs on tables and chairs were now wobbly, despite our best efforts to preserve them. Things shifted, things broke, other things were stained. It was a devastating blow in a new unfamiliar place. We remained positive, but decided next time we moved, we would sell everything, and move nothing.
As we get ready for our second move we now realize that is a little bit unrealistic (clothes, memorabilia, etc.) However, we are taking this opportunity to get rid of what we don't like or want anymore, and start over of sorts. We have been married for 14 years and a lot of our things are worn, outdated, hand me downs, or are just flat out overdue for replacement. This time, however, the company is paying for relocation services, with professional movers and insurance. I wish someone had told me YOU NEED THESE if you're moving across the country. If the company doesn't offer it, I would highly suggest you try to negotiate it. It's a small price for them to pay for you uprooting your entire family and moving across the country. Starting over in a new foreign place, with a moving truck full of broken and unusable stuff, is really no way to start over, if you can help it.
What are your best moving tips?! I'd love to hear them in the comments. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good advice, but more importantly, I did not find here. I need advice for selecting relocation companies, I have long heard positive recommendations about this company https://movers.best/residential-movers/long-distance-moving-companies/, maybe someone will come in handy. My move temporarily postponed, as there were problems with the documents.

Rehinna said...

I havent any word to appreciate this post.....Really i am impressed from this post....the person who create this post it was a great human..thanks for shared this with us. A1 Pioneer

jhon said...

. A beekeeper can relocate a swarm of bees, or remove a colony of bees that has made a home in an inconvenient place. These guys are in New Jersey

SimonaGabriele said...

I want to make sure that I handle my big move properly. It makes sense that I would want to factor in distance! That way I know what kind of moving services I should hire. Moving Montreal

Unknown said...

Many consider moving to be one of life’s most stressful and least fun events, especially the actual process of getting all your stuff. Moving Montreal

Max said...

Can I just say what a relief to find someone who actually knows what they’re talking about on the internet? You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people need to read this and understand this side of the story. I can’t believe you’re not more popular because you definitely have the gift.
brother xr9550prw sewing machine

Yousufzai said...

This is a terrific site, could you be interested in doing an interview about just how you created it? If so e-mail me! affordable movers